Monday, April 19, 2010

The Dirty War

First of all, I find it interesting that I have only heard about the Dirty War in a Spanish class (very briefly though, the professor got off topic and told us a little about it) and an English class that is also cross-listed with Spanish. This annoys me because it was a huge deal that still affects people today, and we don't learn anything about it in school. It's not even a matter of people in our country not caring about other places, because we aren't even given the chance to care, because no one tells us anything. On a somewhat similar note, I find our media to be infuriating because they just repeat the same things at us all day, every day, while there are other important stories, both good and bad, that they totally neglect to share. It ticks me off.

But back on topic...the part of the Dirty War that is going on right now, families finding their missing children, is what sticks out to me. I can't imagine how I would feel if I found out that the people who raised me and who I had loved turned out to not be my parents, or even worse, to have been somehow involved in the deaths of my actual parents. That has to really mess with those people's minds, and I am sorry for them. In their place, I don't know what I would do. I don't know if I would be able to leave my parents and become part of a new family. It's sad that the war has been passed down to that generation of people, and that they are still being affected by what their parents had to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment