Monday, April 26, 2010

End of the Semester Reflection

Coming into ENG 378, I did not expect to be reading only testimonial literature. Because of the subject matter, this class felt more to me like a Spanish class taught in English than an English class. Since I'm both a Spanish major and an English major, I was okay with that.

I think this class is good for people because we don't learn enough about Latin America in general. True, we only learned about depressing things, but that's a start. Although I think it's important, I don't know how many English students would sign up for the course if it were advertised as testimonial literature, especially since it's not required. Although it wasn't the type of literature I had hoped to read, it didn't grow old, as did the texts I had to read in an English class I took last year that turn out to focus only on Holocaust literature.

Overall, I had a positive experience with this class. I liked it because it combined my interests -- English and Spanish. I don't know if it is a class for everyone, but people who are interested in both sides of the subject, as I am, should definitely try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment